IEEE 802.24 Vertical Applications TAG
IEEE 802.24 Vertical Applications TAG Scope
The IEEE 802.24 Vertical Applications Technical Advisory Group
(TAG) focuses on application categories that use IEEE 802 technology
and are of interest to multiple IEEE 802 WGs and have been assigned to
IEEE 802.24 by the IEEE Executive Committee.
For those application categories, IEEE 802.24:
- Acts as a liaison and point of contact with industry
organizations, other SDOs, government agencies, IEEE societies, etc.,
for questions regarding the use of 802 standards in those vertical
- Develops white papers, presentations and other documents that do
not require a PAR that describe the application of 802 standards to
those vertical applications
- Acts as a resource for understanding 802 standards for
regulatory agencies and for certification efforts by industry bodies,
that require more than one IEEE 802 WG's input.
NOTE: The IEEE 802 technologies are applied to support the vertical
applications. IEEE 802.24 determines what makes the horizontal
technologies supportive of the applications. IEEE 802.24 also
determines what enhancements to the horizontal technologies would
improve their ability to support the applications.
Examples of potential vertical application categories are: Smart
Grid, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Smart Homes, Smart
- January - March 2020: 802.24 continues development of White Paper on Low Latency capabilities of IEEE 802
standards for Vertical Applications (Document 802.24-19-0003r6 or latest revision) and the IEEE 802 Solutions for Vertical Applications white paper (Document 802.24-19-0017r4 or latest revision)
- Nov 2019: Published White Paper - Utility Applications of Time Sensitive Networking (Joint White Paper between 802.24 and 802.1 TSN)
- Nov 2019: 802.24 completed the Licensed Narrowband Amendment to IEEE 802.16 PAR and CSD. The presentation to the EC is in 802.24-19-0033r8. The approved PAR is in 802.15-20-0088r0. The CSD is in 802.24-19-0030r1. The 16t Task Group met for the first time in January 2020, as part of the 802.15 WG. There is a Task Group web page, and a documents section on Mentor.
- July-Sept 2019: 802.24 is providing a forum for the development of the Licensed Narrowband Amendment to IEEE 802.16.
This PAR will be submitted for approval in November 2019, and is
expected to be assigned to a new Task Group in the 802.15 working
group. Status Update presented to 802.15 WNG in September: 802.15-19-0412r3
- July-Sept 2019: Development continuing on IEEE 802 Solutions for Vertical Applications white paper (formerly Network Integration). Version following Sept 2019 802.24-19-0017r3
- July-Sept 2019: Development continues on White Paper on Low Latency capabilities of IEEE 802
standards for Vertical Applications.
Contributions from 802.21 Interest Group "'Network Enablers for
Seamless HMD-based VR" have been incorporated. Version following
Sept. 2019 meeting 802.24-19-0003r5. Call for contributions open - submit to 802.24 Mentor or to 802.24 reflector.
802.24.1 Smart Grid TG
TSN White Paper "Utility Applications of Time Sensitive Networking White Paper" In process of publishing at IEEE. Final review draft available here
September 2019: Collaboration with IEC SEG8. TAG review. Comments on PSSC-S6D_0_8 "Report: IoT for Connected Home – Communication and Cybersecurity Requirements" posted in 802.24 private area.
Planning for new white paper on 802.15.4g and 802.11ah Coexistence based on IEEE 802.19.3 project
Outside documents and organizations
802.24.2 IoT TG
'Single Pair Ethernet White Paper' has been submitted to IEEE for publishing 802.24-18-0011-00-IoTg.
and Comments on ATIS TOPS Council IoT Categorization Focus Group. IoT
Characteristics Matrix provided by ATIS, comments incorporated in
spreadsheet. Review completed and matrix with comments posted as 24-19-0004r4
Outside documents and organizations
Getting involved in IEEE 802.24
The IEEE 802.24 Vertical Applications TAG meets during
IEEE 802 Plenary sessions. The 802.24.1 Smart Grid TG also meets at
Wireless Interim sessions. In addition, conference calls may be
announced, as covered under the rules for IEEE 802 TAGs, as defined in
IEEE Project 802 LMSC Operations Manual.
Templates for IEEE 802.24 Submissions
Please use the following templates when submitting documents to 802.24:
Last Update:March 2, 2020
This page is maintained by Tim Godfrey and
has been designed to be compliant with HTML 3.2 and
above and should work with all compliant browsers.
& Opting Out of Cookies